The first phase of the Silver Line to Wiehle Avenue in Reston is anticipated to open between August and December 2013. Consequently feeder buses that currently connect to the West Falls Church Metro will connect to the closer Silver Line station at Wiehle Avenue instead.
Oak Hill residents that use the Fairfax Connector 950 and 980 bus routes will principally be affected, but other long established routes will change as well, if proposed Fairfax Connector route changes are made when the Silver Line opens. More proposed changes:
- Route 585, which currently ends at the Reston South park and ride will continue down Reston Parkway, then go down Franklin Farm Road and up Sully Road (Route 28), circling back to the Wiehle Station.
- Route 927 will use Coppermine Road instead of River Birch Road.
- Route 929 will no longer go down McLearen Road, West Ox Road and Franklin Farm Road and will instead circuit Kinross Circle.
Learn the details on the proposed Silver Line bus service page to see if your bus commute will be affected.
If you take the Fairfax Connector bus, fares will be increasingly modestly on July 1st.
- The regular base fare will increase to $1.60 if paying by SmarTrip® card and $1.80 if paying by cash.
- Senior and disabled fare will increase five cents to 80 cents if paying by SmarTrip® card and 90 cents if paying by cash.
- The fare for express Route 395 will increase from $5.00 to $5.35 if paying by SmarTrip® card or cash.
- The fare for express routes 595 and 597 will increase from $7.00 to $7.50 if paying by SmarTrip® card or cash.
Purchasing a SmarTrip® card will minimize the impact of the fare increase. A SmarTrip® card provides for up to two hours of free bus-to-bus transfers, and $0.50 discounts for bus-to-rail transfers. SmarTrip® cards can be purchased at Connector Stores, Metrorail Stations, and most CVS and Giant Food locations.
For information regarding Fairfax Connector fares or bus service, visit www.fairfaxconnector.com or call the telephone information center at 703-339-7200, TTY 703-339-1608.
For information about this news item, contact Ellen Kamilakis at 703-877-5606, TTY 711.