Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Academy is offering a nine-week program covering topics such as fire suppression, emergency medical services, training, recruitment, special operations, and other topics. You can apply to the Citizens Fire and Rescue Academy through September 15, 2014, or until the class of 25 is filled. The Academy will begin September 25, 2014, and will meet for nine consecutive weeks, from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., at various locations in and outside of the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department.
To sign up for the free program, you must be 18 years of age and apply online at www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fr/cfa.
The housing season is slowing down, which is typical for this time of year. According to the web site zillow.com, just five properties in Oak Hill are having open houses this weekend. Prices range from $375,500 for a condo on Venturi Lane to $639,990 for a four bedroom, four bath single family home on Lake Shore Drive.
In Oak Hill:
- 13800 block of Redskin Drive, near Towerview Road and McLearen Road, property reported stolen from business.
- 4300 block of Chantilly Shopping Center, Dulles Expo area, merchandise reported stolen from business.
- 1900 block of Belmont Ridge Court, near South Lakes Drive and Sunrise Valley Drive, laptop reported stolen from vehicle.
In Oak Hill:
- 2600 block of Meadow Hall Drive, off Monroe Street between Fox Mill Road and West Ox Road, purse reported stolen from vehicle.
- 4300 block of De Haven Drive, off Lees Corner Road south of Lee Jackson Highway, bicycle reported stolen from residence.
- 5200 block of Walney Road, area in or around Ellanor C. Lawrence Park, purse and laptop computer reported stolen from vehicle.
- BURGLARY, 11700 block of North Shore Drive, community opposite Ivy Oak Square, 08/26/14. A resident reported someone entered the residence and took property.
- 11800 block of Dunlop Court, east of Hunters Woods Village Center, wallet reported stolen from residence.
- 11800 block of Sunrise Valley Drive, Reston International Center area, merchandise reported stolen from business.
In Oak Hill:
- 2300 block of Meadow Willow Circle, near Fox Mill Road and Sunrise Valley Drive, bicycle reported stolen from residence.
- 4900 block of Stonecroft Boulevard, near intersection with Westfield Boulevard, keys reported stolen from residence.
- 11800 block of Sunrise Valley Drive:
- Boxes of candies from business
- Lighter from business
- UNLAWFUL ENTRY, 14400 block of Woodmere Court, 08/22/14, A resident reported an unknown person walked into the home through an unsecured door. Nothing was taken. The residence is behind Sully Station shopping center.
- 12000 block of Lee Jackson Memorial Highway, to the east of the intersection with the Fairfax County Parkway, money and items reported stolen from vehicle.
- 3900 block of Centerview Drive, near or at the Wingate Hotel, 2010 Toyota Prius reported stolen.
- ATTEMPTED BURGLARY, 11700 block of Olde English Drive, near Temporary Drive in Reston, 08/22/14 1:41 a.m. A resident reported and unknown man entered the residence through an unsecured door. The suspect left immediately when the he heard someone was in the home. Nothing was taken. The suspect was described as black and approximately 5 feet 10 inches tall.
- 12000 block of Bowman Towne Drive, across Reston Parkway from the Reston Town Center, cell phone reported stolen from business.
- 2200 block of Hunters Woods Plaza, wine reported stolen from business.
- 2300 block of Hunters Woods Plaza, merchandise reported stolen from business.
- Springwood Drive/Karbon Hill Court, near Soapstone Drive and South Lakes Drive, cell phone reported stolen from vehicle.
- 2100 block of Monaghan Drive, off Parcher Avenue, bicycle reported stolen from residence.
From Fairfax County police:
Police responded to the report of a crash on (Rt.286), The Fairfax County Parkway near Fox Mill Road, on Monday, August 25, just before 6:30 a.m. During the preliminary investigation, Crash Reconstruction detectives determined that a 2014 Freightliner tractor-trailer, being driven by a 51-year-old Pennsylvania man, was southbound on Rt.286, approaching the intersection of Fox Mill Road. The driver of the tractor-trailer observed a Cadillac Escalade (SUV) on the right shoulder underneath the Pinecrest Road overpass. As the Freightliner got closer, a pedestrian apparently stepped from in front of the SUV and into the path of the oncoming truck. The driver of the truck unsuccessfully attempted to avoid the pedestrian. The truck hit the pedestrian and then stopped. The pedestrian hit the roadway and sustained life-threatening injuries.
Clayton F. Young, 54, of Oakton Chase Court in Oak Hill, Virginia, was transported to Reston Hospital Center and was pronounced dead a short time later.
The driver of the tractor-trailer was not injured.
Neither speed nor alcohol were factors in the crash.
In Reston, two burglaries were reported less than half a mile apart. They could be related.
- BURGLARY, 1800 block of Old Reston Ave, 08/21/14 4:15 p.m. A resident reported someone entered the residence and took property.
- BURGLARY, 11700 block of North Shore Drive, 08/21/14. A resident reported someone entered the residence and took property.
- This is right next to Oak Hill, just east of Monroe Street and Sunrise Valley Drive. UNLAWFUL ENTRY, 2300 block of Colts Brook Drive, 08/19/14. A resident reported an unknown man walked into the home through an unsecured door. The suspect also entered the victim’s vehicle. Nothing was taken.
- 2200 block of Colts Neck Road, near Hunters Woods Plaza, electronic equipment reported stolen from vehicle.